Six Word Haiku Challenge || 342/365


From a variety of literary resources open to me at the moment, I read a creative writing challenge: generate a six word, traditional haiku. At first my reaction was negative. Felt a viable poem shouldn’t be put under such severe restrictions. Yet...

Since that moment, I wrestled with the concept, despite the fact I lost the original source for the prompt. A plan formed on its own. The math set up the pattern. Every line would have two words.

Or better still, begin with concentrating on multi-syllabic words, pulling out various phrases with a stronger complexity of phonetic makeup, but words within the common vernacular.

For instance, with the logic that a five syllable word could open and/or close the poem, in order to control the word count, I began listing possibilities:
liberalism
celebratory
vocabulary
reactionary
existentialist
transcendentalist
voluntarily
involuntary
territorial
agricultural
inevitable
strategically
conservatively
dilapidation
exasperation
exhilaration
accelerating
exuberating

With that said, retaining the syllable/wound count created a stronger frustration than expected. Perhaps I tried too hard to maintain a purist approach. The poem which resulted lacks a sense of the poet-individual and lacks a true epiphany moment. The form is correct; the theme is weak. In the upcoming months I may play with the idea some more.

Inarticulate
words inevitably
fracture the language.

Comments

Popular Posts