102/365 - 113/365 || Twelve Conversations with a Winter Moon

The analogy
should be made obvious. Clear.
The words in the book
become the voice in your head.
My voice repeating my words.

•

You hold a pebble.
The pebble aches to increase
in size, move beyond
perimeters of your hand,
or notions of being owned.

•

Sometimes you appear
after a long night drinking,
blurry-eyed. Wrinkled.
A dark edge of unshaven
whiskers on your curved features.

•

What was— is now gone—
burnt out embers, cold ashes.
Circumstances change
overtime— the stove once hot
transforms to a stone-cold shell.

•

— and even your eyes
carry the ghost impressions
of your former past.
Shadows which cling at your heels
distort in the morning light—

•

A shirt lies empty,
forgotten on the unmade
corner of the bed—
transforms to ghost memory
or a mere speculation—

•

As an empty plate
left on the table’s worn edge—
unspoken symbol
or expectant metaphor—
you pause—an apparition —

•

A lamp left burning
on the darkening side street,
as unfinished poems
piled on a desk top by
the window with open blinds.

•

Outside each window
your face shifts between the glass,
a ghostly voyeur
witnessing each falling word,
each failed gesture between us.

•

Other times you fade
in the background as a blur
in a photograph,
a forgotten phrase pausing
on the tip of a blunt tongue.

•

Like the time you tripped
walking up the stairs, drunk on
experience and
returning home with someone’s
breath still warm inside your mouth—

•

You linger palely
resting on the horizon
as a vague notion,
or a sight hesitation
I cover up with one hand.

Comments

  1. Found this a terribly painful poem to read. Exquisite in places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Partly the poem carries a thread from the other work I mentioned some time ago: "To A Former Lover in Minneapolis." In the end (for what ever reasoning) I allowed the theme/mood from the finished poem to infiltrate these tanka verses through the image of the moon: R.= moon.

    And before someone corrects me, I know in classical literature the moon is associated with a female entity. However, I associate the moon with a male entity, based on the Nordic God of the Moon, a deity chased by a ravenous wolf, on a nightly basis. Eventually, the wolf captures the male-moon-figure and devours it. Therefore, knowing R.'s issues and his personality, this metaphoric connection works well. A painful bridge.

    It is time I created an in-depth post discussing this concept....

    At-any-rate, Yvonne, now that I have passed over the bridge, perhaps the focus can return to more positive energies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic metaphorical allusion D-G - and thanks for the explanation as I have a keener understanding now.
    Yes, for your own sake, I am glad you have passed over the bridge... but such experiences, such loves, they are the warp and woof of our current lives, aren't they...and require remembrance, celebration, mourning - perhaps our attempts to "understand"?
    But agreed! The positive energies (current love, your boy...) have certainly had you producing some beautiful work before!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts